If you think that winters are just another season to survive, then “You know nothing, Jon Snow”.
According to a Johns Hopkins University report, people tend to gain five to seven pounds (2-3 kgs) on average during the winter months.
Indeed, the vacation mood and holiday food are a tough pass. So, we have a few fitness hacks for this winter season that can help you have the best of both the worlds… with a pinch of Game of Thrones.
After all, winter is coming!
- Choose Your Activity. Find out which activity compliments your interests and current fitness level. This will keep you motivated and able to maintain a routine.
- Layer Up. Dress in layers when you step out. This gives you the convenience to take off your gear, layer by layer, as your body temperature changes.
- Wear Pollution Masks: While the pollution levels reach their peak every winter in north India, it’s only for the best that you wear pollution masks while going out for any physical activity.
- Stay hydrated: Winter chills can leave you high and dry without you even realizing it. This can badly affect your fitness routine or worse, lead to kidney stones over a period of time.
- Cut Back Carbs: Part of loving the winter season is the love for sweets that are made in winter. This, mixed with reduced activity in winter, can be a blunder! Be mindful of your calorie intake and avoid carbs. Winter also brings leafy seasonal vegetables that can be cooked or juiced.
- Get some Sunlight: Scientists from the University of Alberta, Canada say that fat cells beneath our skin are sensitive to sunlight, causing them to shrink on exposure to sun’s blue light. Get under the sun to avoid gaining those extra kilos.